Monday 26 September 2011

I'm not a cynic, I'm a hypocrite...

There's a difference. Hypocrites believe in something. (One of my all-time favourite jokes, by one of my favourite comedians).

The point is, after all my ranting about Amazon, the free-content model, and people having an over-inflated or misguided sense of what their books are worth, 'Heaven Can Wait' is now available from Amazon's Kindle store for $2.99/£1.71.

Given everything I've said, this is rather hypocritical. I stand by my arguments, at least in the basic principles, but the simple fact is that I'm really tight for cash at the moment. In a worst-case scenario, my budget after rent and bills for the next three months is about £20 a week. Enough to live on, but not much more. Certainly not enough to get in on the whole CreateSpace thing for hardcopies, which I remain convinced will be the best way for me to make money writing in the long run.


So, the book goes on Amazon for a 'thick' price, and I make a public apology for the temporary hypocrisy. I'm making no promises, but I expect to drop the price of 'Heaven Can Wait' once 'Some Kind of Angel' is available, and in the interim I'm hoping to launch a short story I've been filling odd hours with this last week. It's the first of a serial, and definitely will be going out at minimum prices (I'll probably bung it on Smashwords at $.49 and see if I can trick Amazon into price-matching it).

Thanks, by the way, to everyone who responded to my last blog post (if you haven't already, go read the comments. Some very important advice in there). 'Heaven Can Wait' went live on Saturday morning, and I've already sold 2 copies, almost without any announcement at all, which means it's at least twice as easy to sell on the Kindle Store as on Smashwords (and I suspect rather easier than that).

I think that's all I have to say at this point. I'm guest-blogging for Lyn Midnight later this week about screenwriting, comic writing and prose writing, and I'm working on something about rights-sale publishing (and this short story), but I'll leave it here for now.

Once again, here's the link to buy Heaven Can Wait at Amazon.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there. I wanted to stop by and say thank you. You notified me a couple weeks ago that I won a copy of your book. I've been holding off on claiming it due to lack of an e-reader. Last night I was going to when I realized I'd misplaced the code. This is highly embarassing--but would you mind very much sending me another email with the info? Please. I'm usually a lot more organized, and I'd really love to read your book. Thanks so much again. :)

    ReplyDelete